Regulation Requirement Series
Diesel engines listed below are to be designed, constructed, installed, tested and certified in accordance with the requirements of this Section, under the supervision and to the satisfaction of the Society"s Surveyors:
- main propulsion engines
- engines driving electric generators, including emergency generator
- engines driving other auxiliaries essential for safety and navigation and cargo pumps in tankers, when they develop a power of 110 kW and over.
1.2 DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
- The Manufacturer is to submit to the Society the documents for engine type approval.
- Where changes are made to an engine type for which the documents have already been examined or approved, the engine Manufacturer is to resubmit to the Society for consideration and approval only those documents concerning the engine parts which have undergone substantial changes.
1.3.1 Engine type
The type of an engine is defined by the following characteristics:
- Cylinder diameter
- Piston stroke
- Method of injection (direct or indirect injection)
- Kind of fuel (liquid, gaseous or dual-fuel)
- Working cycle (4-stroke, 2-stroke)
- Gas exchange (naturally aspirated or supercharged)
- Brake mean effective pressure corresponding to the maximum continuous power
- Turbocharging (pulsating system or constant pressure system)
- Charge air cooling system (with or without intercooler, number of stages, etc.)
- Cylinder arrangement (In-line or V-type)
1.3.2 Engine power
- The maximum continuous power is the maximum power at ambient reference conditions which the engine is capable of delivering continuously, at nominal maximum speed, in the period of time between two consecutive overhauls.
- Power, speed and the period of time between two consecutive overhauls are to be stated by the Manufacturer and agreed by the Society.
- The rated power is the maximum power at ambient conditions which the engine is capable of delivering as set after works trials at the maximum speed allowed by the governor.
- Ambient reference conditions are: barometric pressure= 0.1 MPa, relative humidity= 60%, ambient air temperature= 45°C, sea water temp= 32°C.
Watch out for the next post on Regulation Requirements for...
2. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF ENGINES
IF YOU LIKE MY WORK THEN SHARE THE HAPPINESS WITH OTHERS!