It is performed on Completed ships, to find out the ship's
- Metacentric Height (GM)
- Height of centre of gravity (CG) of ship
Conduct of the Experiment
Use of two pendulum, 1 fwd and 1 aft.
- lenth of the pendulum must be as long as possible.
- Bob must be immersed in oil (to dump vibrations).
- 4 masses A,B,C,D must be put on-board.
- The draughts and density are measured at the accurate level.
- Ships mooring ropes are slackened.
- 3 steps:
- ABCD on port side; take deflection of pendulum
- ABCD on stbs side; take defection
- AB on port CD on dtbd; take deflection
- All deflections are recorded,
- All tanks must be empty
- Minimum manning on-board
- Calm weather
- Mooring ropes slackened
- All tanks either pressed up full or empty
This device consists of a metal pendulum balanced on knife edges as shown in the pic above.
A permanent record is obtained for all movements of the ship.
Accuracy in measurement comes as a free surprise.
IF YOU LIKE MY WORK, THEN SHARE THE HAPPINESS WITH OTHERS!